Prepared August 28, 2017
Hearings, Briefings, Meetings
- 5/17 – NIH House appropriations hearing. Dr. Volkow attended with NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins, and had the opportunity to answer several questions. Full information at: https://appropriations.house.gov/calendararchive/eventsingle.aspx?EventID=394868
- 5/24 – Dr. Volkow met with Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY) at his request to discuss marijuana and opioids issues.
- 5/30-31 – Dr. Volkow visited New Hampshire. Representative Anne Kuster participated in a half day symposium organized by Dartmouth; Senator Jeanne Shaheen participated in one of the Manchester community visits the following morning.
- 6/22 – NIH Senate Appropriations hearing. Dr. Volkow attended with NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins, and had the opportunity to answer several questions. Full information at: https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/hearings/hearing-to-review-the-fy2018-budget-request-for-the-national-institutes-of-health.
- 7/12 – Hill briefing. Dr. Volkow participate in an event organized by the Womens Congressional Policy Institute: “Chronic Pain in Women and its Relationship to Opioid Addiction.”
- 7/18 – Hill roundtable. Dr. Compton participated in this discussion–Focus on the Opioid Epidemic–organized by the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. The discussion included members of the committee, senior government leaders, and veterans’ groups representatives.
- 7/25 – meeting with moderate Democratic Senators to discuss the opioid crisis. Dr. Volkow joined NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins and NINDS Director Dr. Walter Koroshetz in discussing the new NIH Opioid Initiative with interested Senators.
- 7/25 – Hill briefing sponsored by the Friends of NIDA. Dr. Compton presented on behalf of NIDA, and was joined by Drs. Richard Spoth and Richard Catalano. Topic: Preventing opioid use/misuse/addiction. The invitation flyer is attached, and a video of this entire briefing can be found at https://www.facebook.com/NIDANIH/?ref=br_rs.
- 8/16 – House Budget Committee staff visited NIH, and at their specific request, Dr. Compton represented NIDA to discuss opioids issues.
Legislation of Interest
- H.R.664 – STOP OD (Stem the Tide of Overdose Prevalence from Opiate Drugs) Act of 2017
- H.R.992 – Expanding Opportunities for Recovery Act of 2017
- H.R.993 – Opioid Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 2017
- H.R.994 – Examining Opioid Treatment Infrastructure Act of 2017
- H.R.1554 and S.581 – Jessie’s Law
- H.R.1781 – Comprehensive Fentanyl Control Act
- H.R.1854 and S.778 – Prescription Drug Monitoring Act of 2017
- H.R.2025 – Abuse-Deterrent Opioids Plan for Tomorrow Act of 2017
- H.R.2038 and S.523 – Budgeting for Opioid Addiction Treatment Act
- H.R.2063 – Opioid Preventing Abuse Through Continuing Education (PACE) Act of 2017
- S.786 – Student and Student Athlete Opioid Misuse Prevention Act
- S.892 – Opioid Addiction Prevention Act of 2017
- H.R.331 – States’ Medical Marijuana Property Rights Protection Act
- H.R.714 – Legitimate Use of Medicinal Marihuana Act
- H.R.715 – Compassionate Access Act
- H.R.975 – Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2017
- H.R.1227 – Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017
- H.R.1820 – Veterans Equal Access Act
- H.R.1823 – Marijuana Revenue and Regulation Act
- H.R.1824 – Responsibly Addressing the Marijuana Policy Gap Act of 2017
- H.R.1841 – Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act
- H.R.2020 – To provide for the rescheduling of marijuana into schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act
- H.R.3391 – Medical Marijuana Research Act of 2017
- H.R.3534 – State Marijuana and Regulatory Tolerance Enforcement Act
- S.776 – Marijuana Revenue and Regulation Act
- S.777 – Small Business Tax Equity Act of 2017
- S.780 – Responsibly Addressing the Marijuana Policy Gap Act of 2017
- S.1008 – Therapeutic Hemp Medical Access Act of 2017
- S.1276 – Cannabidiol Research Expansion Act
- S. 1374 and H.R.2920 – Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States (CARERS) Act of 2017
- S. 1689 – Marijuana Justice Act of 2017
- H.R.2273 – Charlotte’s Web Medical Access Act of 2017
- H.R.449 – Synthetic Drug Awareness Act of 2017
- H.R.1732 – Synthetic Drug Control Act of 2017
- H.R.2142 and S.708 – International Narcotics Trafficking Emergency Response by Detecting Incoming Contraband with Technology (INTERDICT) Act
- H.R.2851 – Stop the Importation and Trafficking of Synthetic Analogues Act (SITSA) of 2017
- H.R.2900 – Synthetic Drug Prevention, Treatment and Education Act
- S.207 – Synthetic Abuse and Labeling of Toxic Substances (SALTS) Act of 2017