Find information for people struggling with drug use, as well as resources for their families and friends.
- What to do if you have a problem with drugs:
- What to do if someone you know has a problem with drugs:
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment: A Research-Based Guide - Presents principles of addiction treatment for a variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs, that can inform drug treatment programs and services.
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations - A Research-Based Guide - Discusses principles proven through research to help tailor treatment programs to better serve their populations..
- Substance Abuse Among the Military, Veterans, and Their Families - Explores the scope of substance use among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.
- Drugged Driving - Provides resources on the dangers of impaired driving.
- NIDA Quick Screen - Provides an online screening tool that can help you talk with your doctor.
- More About Treatment Research at NIDA
- NIDAMED - Offers science-based resources for clinicians and their patients on drug use, addiction prevention, and treatment. Visit the patient page for information geared toward patients and families.
- Science Highlight: Parenting programs lead to healthier behaviors (August 2019)
- Nora's Blog: The Importance of Prevention in Addressing the Opioid Crisis (June 2017)
- Federal School Resource Guide - The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy has released a resource guide for evidence-based prevention programs in school settings. The resources included in this guide are available for free and can help educators protect students and schools from the impact of illicit substance use and misuse.
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Prevention Research
- Virtual Town Hall (Archives)
To learn more about drug use and its effects, visit our Drugs Topics section.
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse (National Library of Medicine, NIH)
- Healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.