Synthetic cannabinoids are human-made mind-altering chemicals that are either sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes and other devices. These products are also known as herbal or liquid incense. Read the DrugFacts
- 7/26/18 - FDA Warns of Synthetic Cannabinoids Laced with Anticoagulant
- 4/6/18 - Multiple States Issue Alerts on Synthetic Cannabinoid Products
- 7/16/16 - Synthetic Cannabinoid Advisory in New York City
- 5/8/15 - Increasing Overdoses From Synthetic Cannabinoids (“Spice,” "K2,” etc.) in Several States
- 11/13/14 - "Mojo" and "Cloud 9" synthetic cannabinoids.
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
|K2/Spice (Synthetic Marijuana)||Past Year||[2.00]||2.70||3.70|
- Synthetic Cannabinoids (K2/Spice) Unpredictable Danger - This infographic shows that synthetic cannabinoids, like K2 or Spice, are not natural drugs and can lead to dangerous health effects.
- Drug Testing Misses Synthetic Cannabinoids: Expert - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids (April 2016)
- The Changing Face of Recreational Drug Use - Cerebrum (January 2016)
- Sara Bellum Blog: Spice: “If You Use It, You’re Experimenting on Yourself” (April 2012)
- Sara Bellum Blog: “Spice” – Not as Fun as it Sounds (February 2011)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (2016, April 7). Synthetic Cannabinoids (K2/Spice). Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/synthetic-cannabinoids-k2spice
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.