Revised April 2014
Web-based resources with video components that illustrate clinical approaches to substance use screening and interventions; patient and provider perspectives about addiction, treatment, and recovery are also covered.
Screening and Brief Intervention Guidance
- Identifying Patients with Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary from patients, describing symptoms that may indicate a substance use problem.
- Screening for Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, to inform screening for substance use disorders in primary care.
- Tips for Conducting a Brief Intervention and Assessing Readiness to Change - Web-based resource, with example videos, focused on delivery of brief interventions with patients at different stages of readiness to change.
- The Clinical Assessment of Substance Use Disorders Case Study - Web-based course module that informs screening, evaluation, intervention, and care for patients with substance use disorders in primary care.
- Substance Use Disorders in Adolescents: Screening and Engagement in Primary Care Settings - Web-based course module that informs screening and brief intervention for adolescents at risk for substance use disorders.
Treatment and Recovery
- Interviews with Patients in Recovery - Web-based resource that includes video interviews with five individuals in recovery from substance use and addiction.
- Core Principles for the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, to guide treatment recommendations for patients with substance use disorders.
Communicating with Patients
- Improving Patient Care: Enhancing Clinician Perspectives Toward Treating Patients with Substance Use Disorders - Web-based resource, with video commentary, focused on the impact of clinician attitudes on patient care.
- Administering a Narcotic Contract - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to implement a narcotic contract with a patient.
- Recommendations for Addressing Patient Resistance to Substance Use Diagnoses - Web-based annotated video illustrating how to discuss substance use diagnosis and treatment options with a resistant patient.
Get this Publication
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.