Revised February 2014
Developed by faculty at leading medical universities, these patient case study materials encourage sound opioid prescribing practices and discussion, problem-based learning, and skills-based practice related to the identification and care of patients with substance use disorders.
Rx Drug Abuse
- A Faculty Development Workshop for Primary Care Preceptors - Case-based workshop for educators to inform training of students in evaluating and caring for patients at risk for prescription opioid abuse.
- Minimizing the Misuse of Prescription Opioids in Patients with Chronic Nonmalignant Pain - Case study that introduces participants to the safe and effective management of chronic pain while minimizing the risk of prescription drug misuse.
- Opioid Risk Management Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCE) - Materials for performance-based assessment of clinical skills related to managing patients receiving long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain.
- Patient-Centered Learning: Substance Abuse in a Physician—The Connor Johnson Case - Case study that introduces participants to the effects of chronic opioid use and withdrawal and highlights the issue of substance abuse among health care professionals.
- Prescription Drug Abuse Sample Case (PDF, 893KB) - Case study highlighting issues related to identification and management of patients exhibiting aberrant medication-seeking behavior.
- A Problem-Based Learning Case on Prescription Drug Abuse—Patient S. K. - Case study that introduces participants to diagnosis and management of prescription drug abuse and addiction in patients with chronic pain.
General Drug Abuse
- The Clinical Assessment of Substance Use Disorders Case Study - Web-based course module to inform screening, evaluation, intervention, and care for patients with substance use disorders in primary care.
- Talking to Patients About Sensitive Topics - Three sample cases that provide participants an opportunity to practice taking a medical history and discussing sensitive issues with patients.
Adolescent Drug Abuse
- Substance Use Disorders in Adolescents: Screening and Engagement in Primary Care Settings - Web-based course module that informs screening and brief intervention for adolescents at risk for substance use disorders.
- Clinical Vignettes on Methamphetamine (PDF, 377KB) - Three brief case studies depicting possible presentations of methamphetamine abuse or dependence and suggested acute management approaches.
- Two Problem-Based Learning Cases: Methamphetamine - Two case studies that introduce participants to clinical presentations of potential substance abuse problems in patients with comorbid mental disorders or pain.
Get this Publication
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network
SAMHSA’s Knowledge Network is a comprehensive online resource of behavioral health training, technical assistance, and workforce development for the health care community.