Research has shown that brain development continues into the twenties—a time that encompasses many important developmental and social changes in a young person’s life. Yet there remain important questions about the factors that influence brain development and their impact on physical, cognitive, emotional, and academic trajectories.
The Adolescent Brain and Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study is the largest long-term study of brain and cognitive development in children across the United States. Findings from the ABCD Study will greatly increase our understanding of environmental, social, and genetic factors that affect brain and cognitive development and that can enhance or disrupt a young person’s life trajectory. Read more about the ABCD study.
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (2015, December 3). Adolescent Brain. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/adolescent-brain
Other Articles of Interest
Lesson Plan and Activity Finder
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number.