What We Do:
The NIDA Genetics and Epigenetics cross-cutting research team is comprised of program staff from multiple NIDA Divisions, Centers, and Offices. Our mission is to develop NIDA’s portfolio of genetic and epigenetic research relevant to substance use disorders and addictive behaviors. Since a variety of expertise is needed to effectively apply genetic and epigenetic methodologies to the problems of substance use disorders and addictive behaviors (i.e., phenotypes, pharmacology, epidemiology, behavior, etc.), our team coordinates our programs to meet strategic mission research objectives, including development of a workforce to meet current and future needs. Our team plans to support current and emerging avenues of research through program announcements and requests for applications. We will also sponsor seminars and speakers to:
- Inform NIDA staff of new tools and topics in genetics, genomics, and epigenetics research
- Support the NIDA Genetics Consortium
- Develop staff knowledge in genomic research as it pertains to NIDA's overall mission to advance science on the causes and consequences of drug use and addiction
- Apply that knowledge to improve individual and public health
NIDA funds a broad range of research in human and molecular genetics, model genetic organisms, pharmacogenetics, genetic epidemiology, genes and development, epigenetics, statistical genetics, and the ethical, legal and social implications of research on the genetic vulnerability of addiction, substance use and substance use disorders.
- Support the discovery of gene variants and epigenetic modification associated with substance abuse and dependence.
- Promote and facilitate the integration of novel genetic/genomic hypotheses, laboratory and statistical methodologies into studies of substance abuse.
- Ensure training opportunities in addiction genetics for students and post-doctoral fellows.
- Support the translation of significant reproducible findings in genetics/genomics research into clinical applications.
Genetics, Genomics and Epigenetics Research Resources
Funding for Genetics Research:
- Genetics, Epigenetics and Developmental Neuroscience Branch (GEDN)
- Genetics Funding Opportunity Announcements
- Human Genetics Grant Application Guidelines
- NIH and NIDA Data Sharing Policies
- Use NIH RePORTER to see NIDA Genetics Portfolio
- Distribution of Genetic Data and Biomaterials
- NIDA Genetics Study Center (biorepository)
- Selected Publications on the Genetics of Addiction
- Compilation of Databases of Genetic Research Resources
Jonathan D. Pollock, Ph.D.
6001 Executive Drive, RM 4274
Bethesda, MD 20892
Fax: (301) 594-6043