Many people who are addicted to drugs are also diagnosed with other mental disorders, including anxiety and depression. Some people develop mental health problems related to their compulsive drug use, and some people take drugs in an attempt to alleviate symptoms of mental health disorders. Whatever symptoms appear first, it is important to treat all mental illnesses at the same time. This section provides resources for mental illnesses beyond addiction.
- NIDA for Teens Drug Facts on Co-Occurring Conditions - Offers resources for teens and teen influencers. Get the latest on how drugs affect the brain and body. Features videos, games, blog posts, and more!
- NIH Director’s Blog on Mental Health
- Mental Health and Addiction Insurance Help (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- MentalHealth.gov - Provides one-stop access to U.S. government mental health and mental health problems information.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Video: Discover NIMH: Drug Discovery and Development (4:11) (NIMH)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1‑800‑273‑TALK (8255)
- SAMHSA Treatment Referral Helpline – 1‑877‑SAMHSA7 (1‑877‑726‑4727)
- CDC - Federal Disaster Mental Health Resources
- Veterans Crisis Line – 1-800-273-8255 (and Press 1)
- Stress and Substance Abuse Throughout Development (Neurobiology of Stress, March 2019)
- SAMHSA and NIMH Partner to Support Early Intervention for Serious Mental Illness (June 2014)
- American Psychological Association - Children and Mental Health
- Keeping Youth Drug Free - (SAMHSA)
- Opioids and Adolescents - (Office of Adolescent Health)
- Video: "Adolescent Substance Use, Addiction, and Treatment" with Sarah Bagley, M.D. (1:37) (Office of Adolescent Health)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Substance Use Disorders (National Library of Medicine, NIH)
- Healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.