Find information for people struggling with drug use, as well as resources for their families and friends.
- What to do if you have a problem with drugs:
- What to do if someone you know has a problem with drugs:
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment: A Research-Based Guide - Presents principles of addiction treatment for a variety of drugs, including nicotine, alcohol, and illicit and prescription drugs, that can inform drug treatment programs and services.
- Principles of Drug Abuse Treatment for Criminal Justice Populations - A Research-Based Guide - Discusses principles proven through research to help tailor treatment programs to better serve their populations..
- Substance Abuse Among the Military, Veterans, and Their Families - Explores the scope of substance use among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.
- Drugged Driving - Provides resources on the dangers of impaired driving.
- NIDA Quick Screen - Provides an online screening tool that can help you talk with your doctor.
- More About Treatment Research at NIDA
- NIDAMED - Offers science-based resources for clinicians and their patients on drug use, addiction prevention, and treatment. Visit the patient page for information geared toward patients and families.
- Science Highlight: Parenting programs lead to healthier behaviors (August 2019)
- Nora's Blog: The Importance of Prevention in Addressing the Opioid Crisis (June 2017)
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Prevention Research
- Virtual Town Hall (Archives)
To learn more about drug use and its effects, visit our Drugs Topics section.
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse (National Library of Medicine, NIH)
- Healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.