Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of the male sex hormone testosterone. The proper term for these compounds is anabolic-androgenic steroids. "Anabolic" refers to muscle building, and "androgenic" refers to increased male sex characteristics. Learn about the health effects of anabolic steroids and read the DrugFacts.
Gear, Juice, Roids, Stackers
- NIDA for Teens Drug Facts on Steroids, Anabolic - Offers resources for teens and teen influencers. Get the latest on how drugs affect the brain and body. Features videos, games, blog posts, and more!
- Monitoring the Future Survey Statistics on Steroids
- Message From the Director: Consequences of the Abuse of Anabolic Steroids (Archives) (March, 2005)
- ATLAS (Athletes Training and Learning to Avoid Steroids - for men) and ATHENA (Athletes Targeting Healthy Exercise and Nutrition Alternatives - for women) - (Oregon Health and Science University Web Site)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse (National Library of Medicine, NIH)
- Healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.